Internship for thesis - Molecular and Digital Biology
The duration of the internship in Molecular and Digital Biology is 30 credits.
The internship takes place during the second course year.
Internship projects are an opportunity for students to be involved in activities where the analysis of biological data is essential for research projects. Students will be encouraged to join early either a lab within the Department of Biology and Biotechnology or participate in one of the collaborations these labs have with other institutions and companies. Internships activities will be primarily focused on computational analysis of biological data, in one of the following areas:
- computational genomics (the analysis of genome variation and function in different organisms through dedicated algorithms and computing infrastructure)
- computational biology (simulation or analysis of biological systems, cellular and biochemical models and high throughput experiments)
- structural bioinformatics (protein structure prediction and analysis, simulation, docking and evolution)
- evolution and population bioinformatics
- any other data intensive analysis, where bioinformatics is necessary to process big data generated in biological experiments
Internships will usually include additional educational efforts aimed at strengthening the specific bioinformatic skills required for each project.
There are few fully bioinformatic laboratories in the University of Pavia but, generally speaking, bioinformatics is generally utilized by the majority of laboratories and in the majority of research lines. Consequently students can join any laboratory of research that utilize bioinformatics and analyze big data.
Students must contact directly the laboratory they are interested in. A student that is about to start the internship for thesis MUST send to firstname.lastname@example.org the name of the head of the laboratory.
At the following websites you will find a list of laboratories where you can look for a position for your internship:
⊗ Department of Biology and Biotechnology, research topics (please note that each topic may include more than one laboratory):
⊗ Institute of Molecular Genetics IGM-CNR (section of PAVIA) (link), to contact professors visit the “Pavia section”. Please note that each research topic may include more than one laboratory-
⊗ Other Departments or Institutes (such as the Department of Molecular Medicine link, Policlinico San Matteo, Fondazione Mondino or Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri or other institutions): students must ask for the approval of the Coordinator of the Master Programme. The Laboratory head must contact the Coordinator of the MBG course and describe the subject of the research that will be carried out by the MBG student. The Coordinator of the MBG course will make sure that the laboratory head is aware of the requirements and regulation of the MBG course regarding the internship, thesis preparation and defence.
⇒ Co-supervisor / supervisor: if the head of the Laboratory in which the student will carry out his/her thesis is not a Professor for the University of Pavia, the student must identify a Professor from the teaching board of Scienze Biologiche that will be the formal reference for the thesis. Thus, to attend some of the laboratories in the IGM-CNR or external institutions, students must find a formal reference Professor. The detailed organization of the laboratory work will be planned by each Laboratory head.
Authorization to begin the internship for thesis in a laboratory external to the University of Pavia
Those students who are going to start the internship for thesis in a laboratory that is not part of the University of Pavia, like those in the Policlinico San Matteo, in Fondazione Mondino or Maugeri, must follow the steps reported below. The completion of these steps is compulsory to obtain the authorization to begin the internship and to start the health insurance.
- download the form found at this link Click to download;
- find a supervisor inside the Teaching Board of Biology,
- the supervisor must sign the document from point “1”,
- send the form to the Student Secretariat (Students’ career office/Students' Career Desk, Ufficio Carriere Studenti) using the Direct Line (filo diretto; https://web.unipv.it/contatti/). The Student Secretariat will complete the steps necessary to start your health insurance.
How to register laboratory credits