How to Apply for Molecular Life Sciences - Students Graduated Abroad
International students holding a Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biotechnology or related life science programme from an International University have to undergo a pre-evaluation of their academic qualifications. The admissions committee will assess applicants’ academic qualifications. Selected students will have to pass an admission test. The admission test can take place any time online.
DISCLAIMER. Please read this disclaimer before proceeding with the application:
- students graduated abroad must request the pre-evaluation of their academic qualifications and take and pass an online admission exam. The results of the pre-evaluation of academic qualifications and the appointment for the admission exam will be communicated by email. Students are responsible to regularly check their email inbox, including the spam folder. If a student is not able to take the exam because he/she did not answer on time or did not see the email, then the Committee will not reschedule the appointment.
- Students graduated abroad must request the pre-evaluation of their academic qualifications and take and pass an online admission exam. The appointment for the admission exam will be communicated by email and students are requested to confirm the appointment by a specific deadline. Students who do not reply to the email or reply after the deadline will not be given a new appointment.
- Students graduated abroad whose curriculum is suitable for the Master Programme will be invited to take an online admission exam. These students must verify that their audio-video connections are working well. The Committee must be able to see candidates’ faces and ear answers clearly. If these two requirements are not met, the interview will be terminated and will not be rescheduled.
Step 1: Registration and application
In order to request the pre-evaluation of qualification and enroll in the admission test, students must:
- Register on this website (link) and click the button “Apply Now!”
- Fill the application form and attach the required documentation:
- Scan of their VALID passport (preferably with at least two years until the expiration date) or ID card.
- Curriculum vitae in European format in English language (for more information see this page).
- Scan of their transcript in English or Italian with exams taken, marks and credits. Final mark should also be included together with an explanation of the evaluation system. If applicants have more than one degree, they can send more than one transcript. Transcripts in Spanish or French are also accepted.
- Scan of the Diploma (if available). Students who did not obtain their Bachelor degree and are expected to graduate before September 2022 must indicate the expected date of graduation in the appropriate field in the application form.
- List of relevant exams in Biology (Molecular Biology, Genetics, Cell Biology, Microbiology), Chemistry and Mathematics that you took during your previous study program and that is relevant for the calculation of the 57 credits required to apply (entry requirements). The document can be found here and must be submitted as pdf file.
- Two reference letters. Students must fill a specific section of the application form to allow referees to send the reference letter. An official email address must be provided, i.e. please indicate the email of the referee that has been provided by his/her affiliation (University, Research Institute…). Generic email addresses that are not associated with an official affiliation (gmail.com, yahoo.com etc…) will not be considered. Reference letters attached by candidates are not considered valid if the student is also applying for the scholarship for students applying for the MSc Molecular Biology and Genetics for the academic year 2022-2023.
The application requires the payment of a fee for participation to the admission test (35 €). The fee for participation to admission test can be paid online via home banking or credit card. Students will receive an email (object: University of Pavia-Payment instructions for Molecular Biology and Genetics) containing the link to the invoice and further instructions on how to pay. Within a couple of hours from the successful payment, students will be able to complete your application by submitting it. It will not be possible to submit the application until the payment has been cleared by the system. The invoice is pre-filled (click to see an example of invoice).
The English language proficiency certificate is optional. Embassies in some countries might require English language knowledge certificates to accept pre-enrollment and VISA applications. Minimum required grades for the academic year 2019-2020 were: IELTS – 6, TOEFL – 78, TOLIMO – 600, FCE – 169.
Step 2: Evaluation of qualification
An appointed Commission will evaluate the academic qualifications of the candidate (degree, marks, work experience). The candidate will receive an e-mail notifying whether his/her qualification are suitable to take the admission exam. If applicable, the date of the appointment for the interview and the instructions to connect to the Commission will also be sent.
Step 3: Admission test
The admission exam is an oral exam in English concerning basic concepts in Biology. We strongly suggest to refresh basic concepts in Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology and Microbiology. The exam is given online using Zoom or Skype.
The exam may have one of the following outcomes:
- unconditional admission to the Master’s degree course;
- admission to the Master’s degree, with a list of the examinations to be passed in order to make up any credit deficits;
- non-admission to the Master’s degree due to insufficient knowledge of basic Biology concepts.
Step 4: Pre-enrollment and VISA application
EU and non-EU students who passed the admission test will receive an admission letter. Non-EU students will be able to be used for VISA application. PLEASE SEE THE DISCLAIMER ABOVE
EU students can enroll in the Master Programme without further requirements.
Non-EU Students residing abroad and admitted to the Master’s Programme need to submit their pre-enrollment via Universitaly. Pre-enrollment is essential to start the application for VISA. Procedures for academic year 2022-2023 are indicated on this page. Guidelines prepared by our University can be found here. For additional information please see this page, section “Non-EU prospective students”, step “PRE-ENROLLMENT AND VISA REQUEST AT THE ITALIAN EMBASSY/CONSULATE”.
⊗ The application for VISA is carried out by the Italian Authorities (Embassy and Consulate).
Important notice for extra-European students: VISA application and university application are two completely independent procedures. VISA application is a procedure carried out by the Italian Authorities abroad. The University of Pavia has nothing to do with VISA application.
Step 5: Enrollment
Students will be able to enroll in the University of Pavia between May 16 and October 3. To enroll, login in your reserved area, then click Menu (right corner) -> Admissions -> Enrollment.
EU students must follow the procedure described at this page, section EU Prospective Students.
Non-EU students must follow the procedure described at this page, section “Non EU Prospective students”, steps “Enrollment” and “Finalize your Enrollment”. To ask for assistance send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org .